Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Monkey On A Rock

Our former governor and one time 5th District Congressman just spent three segments on tonight's (Tuesday, Feb. 3rd) Late Night with David Letterman. I state for the record, I am a long time David Letterman fan. Viewing Blago in the guest seat on Letterman was like a car crash on Lake Shore Drive... very uncomfortable but you just couldn't turn your head.

Letterman referred to an old joke about a Governor in prison mopping a floor when another prisoner walks up and laments that the food was better when the Governor was in office. While Letterman's missed attempts at a joke can be funnier than hitting them, this one was eerie.

Blogo looked like he needed a seat belt and in his fidgeting, twiddled his thumbs and called Letterman's studio audience his listeners.

I surely don't like Blago's media circus and it didn't sound like Letterman has any appreciation either. Letterman actually said he had no idea why Blago would be on his show. Blago said he always wanted to be on Letterman's show in the worst way and Letterman confirmed that this was definitely the worst way to be on his show.

After the Blago segment, Letterman made a reference to what many already believe; that Blago's on his way to jail. Blago was the reference point for more Letterman shots, but in the end I believe Letterman when he said he wouldn't wish all of Blago's troubles to a "monkey on a rock."

3 comments:

Simplex said...

Hello,

I am a viewer and translator of David Letterman show but I am not an American, so sometimes I don't get everything.
During recent shows I noticed that David Letterman has been repeatedly using a phrase "I would not give Blagojevich's troubles to a monkey on a rock" - do you know what does it mean, exactly? I tried googling for it but the only hit I got was a 'definition' at Urban Dictionary which was not too enlightening ( http://i-wouldnt-give-your-troubles-to-a-monkey-on-a-rock.urbanup.com/1289984 ).
Desperate, I tried googling for "letterman" + "monkey on a rock" and this if how I found your blog :)
I hope you will be able to help me on this.

Kind regards,

Anonymous said...

Lukasz,
The phrase has no specific historical or cultural reference. It's just a line Letterman and his writing staff have been throwing around for long time. It is meant to be humorous and that is all.

Think in terms of the line being a version of an American saying that's meant to be catchy and cute.
Tim

Simplex said...

Tim,

Thanks a lot for an informative and fast reply. Looks like this phrase is going to be even more difficult to translate than I thought. Thanks again for helping a foreigner to better understand American language.

Kind regards.
Lukasz